NBS offers a Business Minor which seeks to expose non-Accountancy and non-Business students to important and diverse aspects of business, providing a broad overview of general business essentials.
Succeeding in the corporate world today requires the synergy of technical skills and a broad knowledge of operations, finance, information technology and marketing.
The programme aims to:
- Complement your primary degree by providing subject-specific knowledge in areas such as markets, customer behavior, business law, operations, information technology and business strategies.
- Develop your skills in evaluating, planning and organising resources.
- Trains you to apply ideas which creates value and generates profits
Upon completion of the Minor in Business, you can contribute to the success of any organisation as you have the knowledge, skills and ability to make decisions which helps the organisation to identify opportunities and potential threats. This will ultimately open up more career opportunities
To fulfil the requirements for the Business Minor programme, choose 5 courses (3 AUs each) from the following:
||Accounting: A User Perspective
||Fundamentals of Business Law
||Management Decision Tools
||Marketing for the 21st Century
||Marketing Communications: An Integrated Approach
||Fundamentals of Management
||Law of IP & New Media
Students have to read minor courses as Unrestricted Electives and the academic units earned will count towards the students’ academic unit requirements for Unrestricted Electives. A minor course that is NOT read as Unrestricted Electives* (e.g. read as Major Prescribed Electives or GER Prescribed Electives) cannot be counted again towards fulfilling the minor.
*Exception for the minors in Art History, Business, Communication Studies, Energy, Environmental Sustainability, Finance, Information - Communication Technology, Philosophy, Risk Management and Insurance
Students who are admitted in AY2013 and onwards are allowed to count ONE (1) GER Core or GER Prescribed Elective towards the minor requirement IF the said GER Core/GER Prescribed Elective is also in the minor's list of courses. The remaining courses must be Unrestricted Electives.
- A course cannot be counted towards the requirements of two minors (unless otherwise stated).
- To be awarded a minor, students must not opt for these courses to be graded Satisfactory (S)/Un-Satisfactory (U).
- NIE students have to consult the NIE Office of Academic Administration and Services (OAAS) if they have intention to pursue a minor.
Special note for Exchange students clearing Minors:
Student on exchange are only allowed to clear up to a maximum of 2 to 3 Business minor courses overseas.